I’m a bit late, but earlier this week the finalists for the Frank O’Connor International Short Story Award were announced.
- Dark Lies the Island, by Kevin Barry
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank, by Nathan Englander
- The Trouble with Fire, by Fiona Kidman
- The Beautiful Indifference, by Sarah Hall
- Suddenly a Knock on the Door, by Etgar Keret
- Happiness Is a Chemical in the Brain, by Lucia Perillo
I haven’t read any of the collections, and the only one I may have sampled are the Englander (click here for my thoughts on “What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank,” which I didn’t like but many did) and the Keret (click here for my thoughts on “Creative Writing,” which I liked).