Massive, landmark box sets are becoming more and more common from The Criterion Collection, but so far it’s still exciting! They have just announced The Complete Films of Agnès Varda. I have seen a number of her films, but there is so much more to see!
Here are some of the details from The Criterion Collection:
A founder of the French New Wave who became an international art-house icon, Agnès Varda was a fiercely independent, restlessly curious visionary whose work was at once personal and passionately committed to the world around her. In an abundant career in which she never stopped expanding the notion of what a movie can be, Varda forged a unique cinematic vocabulary that frequently blurs the boundaries between narrative and documentary, and entwines loving portraits of her friends, her family, and her own inner world with a social consciousness that was closely attuned to the 1960s counterculture, the women’s liberation movement, the plight of the poor and socially marginalized, and the ecology of our planet. This comprehensive collection places Varda’s filmography in the context of her parallel work as a photographer and multimedia artist—all of it a testament to the radical vision, boundless imagination, and radiant spirit of a true original for whom every act of creation was a vital expression of her very being.
Here are the films in the set, arranged as a film festival.
- Agnès Forever – Varda by Agnès (2019), Les 3 boutons (2015)
- Early Varda – La Pointe Courte (1955), Ô saisons, ô châteaux (1958), Du côté de la côte (1958)
- Around Paris – Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962), Les fiancés du pont Macdonald (1962), L’opéra-mouffe (1958), Les dites cariatides (1984), T’as de beaux escaliers, tu sais (1986)
- Rue Daguerre – Daguerréotypes (1975), Le lion volatil (2003)
- Married Life – Le bonheur (1965), Les créatures (1966), Elsa la Rose (1966)
- In California – Uncle Yanco (1968), Black Panthers (1970), Lions Love (. . . and Lies) (1969), Mur Murs (1981), Documenteur (1981)
- Her Body, Herself – One Sings, the Other Doesn’t (1977), Réponse de femmes (1975), Plaisir d’amour en Iran (1977)
- No Shelter – Vagabond (1985), 7 p., cuis., s. de b. . . . (à saisir) (1985)
- Jane B. – Jane B. par Agnès V. (1988), Kung-Fu Master! (1988)
- Jacques Demy – Jacquot de Nantes (1991), The Young Girls Turn 25 (1993), The World of Jacques Demy (1995)
- Simon Cinéma – One Hundred and One Nights (1995)
- La glaneuse – The Gleaners and I (2000), The Gleaners and I: Two Years Later (2002)
- Visual Artist – Faces Places, codirected with JR (2017), Salut les cubains (1964), Ulysse (1982), Ydessa, les ours et etc. . . . (2004)
- Here and There – Agnès de ci de là Varda (2011)
- Beaches – The Beaches of Agnès (2008)
This is a set right up there with the greatest Criterion boxset ever: Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema. I cannot wait!